So, I mentioned last week how my pet peeve was seeing recipes online where a box recipe was used. I did it to slightly set me up as a hypocrite, but also to set me up for this good little cookie recipe. I was perusing some recipes on Food Network for the elusive, perfect chocolate cookie recipe for my rocky road cookies (I’m still searching, so if you know of any good ones let me know). Then I found this Paula Deen Gooey Butter Cookies recipe. I knew it wouldn’t be right for my rocky road cookies but I liked the idea she was throwing out. So I switched it up a bit and it was delish. Butttt it used a box recipe, so I broke my own rule. No more judgment here!! Paula Deen converted me lol
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temp)
- 1 stick butter (room temp)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist Cherry Chip cake mix
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
(2) In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg, then beat the almond extract. Finally, beat in the cake mix.
(3) Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. This is important to make sure that the cookie dough is firm enough so you can roll it your hands into a small ball.
(4) Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls, roll in powdered sugar, and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
(5) Bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and “gooey.” Cool completely and sprinkle with more powdered sugar, if desired.
Recipe Adapted from Paula Deen