I haven’t done so well with my new year’s resolution of cooking more regular food. I just really love baking. And regular dinners taste so good when I eat them out some place else. One thing that I do love are any form of wontons or potstickers. My favorite are crab wontons. Yummmm. So I decided I would have to make my own version for a party with a mix of meat eaters and vegetarians to see how they turn out. Despite the fact that they have no meat in them, everyone loved them (the guys especially). I even had one ask me if he could take some home with him. Of course!!!
- 25-30 wonton wrappers
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cup corn (about 2 medium ears or 1 can)
- ½ cup green onions, diced
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1½ tablespoon rosemary
- ½ cup of parmesan
- pepper to taste
- water for sealing
- olive oil for brushing
(1) Preheat oven to 400˚. Cover a baking sheet in parchment paper. Toss the corn kernels with diced green onions and olive oil and place on the baking sheet. Roast for 15-20 minutes and let cool slightly. Reduce the oven to 350˚ while you prepare the filling.
(2) In a food processor combine the cream cheese, rosemary, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Once the corn/green onion mixture is slightly cooled, add to the food processor and pulse until everything is well combined.
(3) Spoon ½ tablespoon of filling into the center of a wonton wrapper. Wet the edges of the wonton wrapper and fold diagonally (like in the picture above). Then pull the two outer corners into a point (like in the picture below). Set on a baking sheet and continue until the filling is gone.
(4) Brush the wontons with olive oil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until they are golden brown. I cheat when it comes to dipping sauce, because I love the wonton chili sauce from the Cheesecake Factory. You can buy all their sauces, and I do. But these actually taste pretty good on their own even if you don’t have a sauce as a great party treat.